Adélia Sequeira is Full Professor of Mathematics at the Department of Mathematics at the IST (Instituto Superior Técnico), University of Lisbon in Portugal, Coordinator of the Scientific Area on Numerical Analysis and Applied Analysis and Director of the Research Center for Computational and Stochastic Mathematics - CEMAT/IST-ULisboa.
She received a Doctoral Degree in Numerical Analysis in 1981, at École Polytechnique in Paris, France, and a Doctoral degree in Mathematics in 1985, at the Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon, Portugal.
In January 2001, she obtained from IST the Habilitation Degree in Mathematics.
From 2001-2007, she served as Director of the Research Center on Mathematics and its Applications (CEMAT/IST).
In November 2018 she was elected corresponding member of the Lisbon Academy of Sciences, Class of Sciences.
In 2019 she was selected as a "Women in Science" by the Portuguese Agency of Science and Technology "Ciência Viva".
Currently her research interests are in the area of cardiovascular mathematical modelling and simulations of closely connected problems of clinical relevance associated with vascular diseases: patient-specific cerebral aneurysms progression; biomechanical and biochemical actions in blood vessels, with application to thrombosis and atherosclerosis processes. Other areas of interest are mathematical and computational fluid dynamics, particularly focused on inelastic and viscoelastic non-Newtonian fluids and on hemorheology and hemodynamics studies.
Current Professional and Scientific Positions
- Full Professor, Dept. of Mathematics of IST/UL
- Coordinator of the Centre for Computational and Stochastic Mathematics – CEMAT/IST-UL [since July 2017]
- Member of the General Council of the University of Lisbon [since 2017]
- Member of the CoLab Portugal Advisory Board of the UT Austin | Portugal Program [since 2013]
- Coordinator of the Scientific Area of Applied and Numerical Mathematics at the Department of Mathematics of IST [since 2012]
- Scientific Coordinator of the CEMAT’s Research Group: Mathematical Modeling in Biomedicine [since 2010]
- Habilitation in Mathematics, Instituto Superior Técnico/UTL, Jan. 2001
- Ph.D in Mathematics, Fac. of Sciences, University of Lisbon, 1985
- Doctorat de 3ème Cycle in Numerical Analysis, Lab. of Numerical Analysis, Univ. of Paris VI, France, 1981
- D.E.A. in Numerical Analysis, Lab. of Numerical Analysis, University of Paris VI, France, 1978
- Graduation in Mathematics, Fac. of Sciences, University of Lisbon, 1973