|Paulo is a lecturer of Software Engineering and Database Systems subjects in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering of IST. In recent years he became interested in the role of Computer Science to create energetically efficient buildings. He is the organizer of the IT4ENERGY international workshop on Information Technology for Energy Applications. Paulo is also a researcher at the DMIR group of INESC-ID in Lisbon and his current research primarily focuses the agile creation of highly modular software for data intensive applications such as energy management and building control.|
Before joining academia he worked 10 years in industry in different projects and was the head of development of Data Fusion, a tool set for large-scale data integration and migration used in the banking industry. While working in industry he managed to complete a Masters and PhD in Computer Science and Engineering from the University of Lisbon.
When not working in research projects Paulo loves to code and to use his energy and enthusiasm to inspire students into pursuing their dreams. Together with students, Paulo is starting the IST Hackerschool—a magic hackerspace that turns ordinary students into creators by introducing them to the hacker and maker culture. He can frequently be found capturing students’ hearts and imagination as he delivers impassioned speeches about computers, science and art.
- Assistant Professor at DEI/IST
- Member of the Management Board of IST Taguspark Campus
- Academic advisor of IEEE BEST Europe
- Appointed Reviewer
- Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing,
- Journal of Computing and Visualization in Science
- Organizer and proceedings editor of IT4Energy International Workshop
- PC member of Inforum National Conference 2009, 2010 and 2011
- Faculty Excellence Award — Instituto Superior Técnico, 2012
- Best Student Paper Award — ICEIS Conference, 2007
- Best Paper Award nomination — SBBD Conference, 2005
- IEEE Senior Member
- Member of the APFM (Portuguese Association for Facilities Management)