Helena Galhardas, PhD
1. Private Data
Born 9/10/67 in Lisbon
Currently living in Lisbon
2001 PhD in Informatics from University of Versailles.
1994 M.Sc. in Electrical and Computers Engineering from "Instituto Superior Técnico" (IST) - Technical University of Lisbon.
1990 BsC (5 years) in Electrical and Computers Engineering from "Instituto Superior Técnico" (IST) - Technical University of Lisbon.
3. Professional Activities
1997-2001 On leave of absence from IST.
1995-96 Teaching Assistant at IST and Researcher at INESC - Software Engineering Group.
1991-94 Teaching assistant at IST and Researcher at INESC - Information Systems Group.
1991-94 Scolar of INESC - Communication Software Development Techniques Group.
4. Main research interests
· Andreas Wichert and Pedro Teixeira and Pedro Santos and Helena Galhardas, Subspace tree: High dimensional multimedia indexing with logarithmic temporal complexity, Journal of Intelligent Information Systems 35(3), pp. 495-516, Nov. 2010, Springer.
· Andreas Wichert and Pedro Santos and Helena Galhardas, Panoramix: a content-based health record system, Internal Journal of Computer Assisted Radiology and Surgery, 4(), pp. 152, Jun. 2009, Springer.
· P. Carreira, H. Galhardas, A. Lopes and J. D. Pereira, One-to-many data transformations through data mappers, Data & Knowledge Engineering, 62(3), pp. 483-503, Sep. 2007, Elsevier.
· J. Barateiro and H. Galhardas, A survey of data quality tools, Datenbank-Spektrum, (14), pp. 15-21, Aug. 2005, dpunkt.verlag.
· E. Cardoso, H. Galhardas, M.J. Trigueiros, A. Rito Silva: A Decision Support System for IST Academic Information, (Best Award paper) EUNIS 2003, July 2003 and Informatica (Int. Journal of Computing and Informatics), Volume 27, Number 3, 2003
5.2. Book Chapters
· H. Galhardas, Data Cleaning and Transformation Using the AJAX Framework, chapter in Generative and Transformational Techniques in Software Engineering, Nov 2006, Springer Berlin / Heidelberg.
· M. Bouzeghoub, F. Fabret, H. Galhardas, M. Matulovic, J. Pereira and E. Simon: Data Warehouse Refreshment, in Fundamentals of Data Warehousing, (eds.) M. Jarke, M. Lenzerini, Y. Vassiliou and P. Vassiliadis, Springer-Verlag, 1999.
· Helena Galhardas and Antónia Lopes and Emanuel Santos, Support for User Involvement in Data Cleaning, International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DAWAK), Aug. 2011
· Helena Galhardas and Luis Carlos Santos Torres and João Damásio, Master Data Management: a proof of concept, International Conference on Information Quality (ICIQ), Nov. 2010
· P. Carreira, H. Galhardas, J. D. Pereira,A. Wichert, One-to-many data transformation operations - Optimization and Execution on an RDBMS, International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Jun. 2007.
· A. Silva, H. Galhardas, J. Barateiro, H. Matos, J. Gonçalves, E.Portela, Data Analysis Features of the GESTBARRAGENS System, International Conference on Innovative Views of .NET Technologies (IVNET), Oct. 2006
· P. Carreira, H. Galhardas, A. Lopes, J. Pereira: Extending Relational Algebra to express one-to-many data transformations, Simpósio Brasileiro de Banco de Dados (SBBD), October 2005,Uberlândia, Brasil.
· P. Carreira, H. Galhardas, A. Lopes, J. Pereira: Data Mapper: An operator for expressing one-to-many data transformations, International Conference on Data Warehousing and Knowledge Discovery (DAWAK), May. 2005 , Copenhague.
· P. Carreira, H. Galhardas: Efficient Development of Data Migration Transformations, SIGMOD 2004 demo paper, June 2004, Paris, France.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha, E. Simon and C. Saita: Declarative Data Cleaning: Language, Model and Algorithms, VLDB 2001, Rome Italy, September 2001.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha and E. Simon: Declaratively cleaning your data using AJAX , BDA 2000, Blois France, October 2000.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha and E. Simon: AJAX: An Extensible Data Cleaning Tool, SIGMOD 2000 demonstration paper, Dallas, May 2000.
· A. R. Silva, H. Galhardas, P. Sousa, J. Silva, P. M. Sousa, "Designing Distributed Databases from an Organisational Perspective", 4th European Conference on Information Systems (ECIS'96), Lisbon, July 1996.
· N. Duarte, H. Galhardas, R. Carapuça, M. Marques, "Towards an Integrated SDL/CHILL environment", 5th SDL Forum, Glasgow, 1991, ed. North Holland.
· M. Gomes, F. Ferreira, M. Gamito, H. Galhardas, N. Duarte, L. Silva, A. Freitas, J. Abreu, J. Martins, "Editores Gráficos Textuais", 3º Encontro de Computação Gráfica, EUROGRAPHICS, Coimbra, Portugal, October 1990 (in portuguese).
· João Pedro Videira Bastos and Gonçalo Fernandes Simões and Luísa Coheur and Helena Galhardas, Medicine.Ask: A Facility to assist Doctors on prescribing Medicines (poster/demo paper), International Workshop on Data Integration in the Life Sciences (DILS), Jul. 2009 .
· P. Carreira, H.Galhardas, J. D. Pereira, F. Martins, M. J. Silva, On the performance of one-to-many data transformations, International Workshop on Quality of Databases (QDB), in conj. with VLDB'07, Vienna, Sep. 2007.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha, E. Simon and C. Saita: Improving Data Quality using a Data Lineage Facility, DMDW 2001 workshop paper, Interlaken Switzerland, June 2001
· H. Galhardas, E. Simon and A. Tomasic, "A Framework for Classifying Scientific Metadata", AAAI'98 Workshop on AI and Information Integration, Madison, July 1998.
· H. Galhardas, M. Silva, R. Carapuça, "SOAP: A Next-Generation Database System Experiment", 3rd ERCIM Database Research Group Workshop, Pisa, September 1992.
· H. Galhardas, Data Cleaning: Model, Declarative Language, and Algorithms, PhD Thesis, University of Versailles, September 2001
6. Posters and Talks
· B. Martins, H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, M. Zacharioudakis, S. Nasoi, A library of data cleaning functions for XQuery, XML Prague poster, 2011.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu: XML Data Cleaning, talk at Oracle, CA, July 2010.
· H. Galhardas: Data cleaning and transformation using the AJAX framework, Technology presentation at Summer School on Generative and Transformational Techniques in Software Engineering (GTTSE), Portugal, July 2005.
· H. Galhardas: AJAX - An Extensible Data Cleaning Tool, talk at IBM Almaden, February 2000.
· H. Galhardas, D. Florescu, D. Shasha and E. Simon: An Extensible Framework for Data Cleaning , ICDE'2000 poster paper, February 2000.
H. Galhardas: A Framework for Data Cleaning , talk at Dagstuhl Seminar No. 99261 on
Foundations of Information Integration, June 1999.
7. Professional service
· InFORUM 2011 - Simpósio de Informática, Lisboa, Track: Gestão de Informação e Conhecimento, with Nuno Silva e Hugo Gonçalo Oliveira.
· InFORUM 2010 - Simpósio de Informática, Lisboa, Track: Gestão e Tratamento de Informação, with with Pável Calado, Luísa Coheur and Bruno Martins.
· InFORUM 2009 – Simpósio de Informática, Lisboa, Track: Processamento de Dados, Informação e Linguagem, with Pável Calado, Luísa Coheur and Bruno Martins.
· IQIS 2006 - International Workshop on Information Quality in Information Systems (in conj. with SIGMOD 2006), with Nick Koudas and Sunita Sarawagi.
7.2. Program Committee member - Conferences
· SIGMOD 2011, 2008, 2004 - ACM Special Interest Group on Management of Data
· ICDE 2011 – International Conference on Data Engineering
· ER 2011, 2009 – International Conference on Conceptual Modeling
· EDBT 2009 - Extending Database Technoology
· CIKM 2009, 2008, 2007 - ACM Conference on Information and Knowledge Management
· QUATIC - Quality: the bridge to the future in ICT, 2004
7.3. Program Committee member – Workshops
· QDB 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007 - International Workshop on Quality in Databases (in conj. with VLDB).
· PIKM 2007 - PhD Workshop in CIKM, (in conj. with CIKM), 2007, Steering Comitee member.
· CleanDB 2006 - International Workshop on Clean Databases (in conj. with VLDB), 2006.
· IQIS 2006, 2005, 2004 International Workshop on Information Quality in Information Systems (in conj. with ACM SIGMOD
· DOLAP 2008, 2006 - ACM International Workshop on Data Warehousing and OLAP (in conj. with ACM CIKM).
· DIWeb 2004 - International Workshop on Data Integration over the Web (in conj. with CAISE).
· DataGadgets 2004 - Workshop on Bringing Up Emerging Solutions for Data Warehousing Systems (in conj. with JISBD).
· EKDB 2003 - International Workshop on Extraction of Knowledge from Databases (in conj. with EPIA).
7.4. Journal reviewer
· Information Systems, Special Issue on Data Quality, Elsevier, 2012, 2003.
· DKE 2010 – Data and Knowledge Engineering
· IEEE Internet Computing 2009
· JDIQ 2008 - ACM Journal of Data and Information Quality
· VLDBJ 2007, 2002 - Very Large Databases Journal
· ACM TOIS 2003 – ACM Transactions on Information Systems
· Journal on Information Sciences 2003
8. Foreign Languages